Ebony and Ivory Cabinet

On display at the Wayne County Historical Museum

During the late 16th and through mid 17th Centuries, the region of Southern Italy from Naples southward was under Spanish control.  Spanish influence was evident most notably in the black and white cabinets produced in the Naples area for the Spanish Aristocracy. The severe contrast of black against white suited Spanish Baroque taste, since it was the fashion of the Spanish court to dress in black.

This cabinet was owned by William Dudley Foulke and his wife, Mary Taylor Reeve Foulke of Richmond.

William Dudley Foulke was a prominent person in the political arena of the 1890's - 1930's, serving with Theodore Roosevelt's staff. He was a major influence in Civil Service Reform.

This cabinet was part of their Lugana, Italy villa. Donated to the Wayne County Historical Museum by Mary Reeves Foulke.

Photo: Ebony and Ivory Cabinet at the Wayne County Historical Museum, Richmond, Indiana.

Photo taken December 9, 2005

FacebookYouTubeFlickrTwitter

  • Today's Events
  • This Month
Wednesday, January 17
• Leed;s Gallery Faculty Show
• Indoor Soccer Registration
• Portraits Display
• Toddler Time
• January Book Club
• Casual Crochet Corner
WayNet is Sponsored by:
Morrisson-Reeves Library
Reid Health
We R Richmond - Richmond Community Schools

Featured Member

LuLaRoe Stacey Myers

Community Photo

Did You Know?

The first county seat in Wayne County was located in Salisbury, a town that no longer exists. The county seat was moved to Centerville in 1818 and finally to Richmond in 1873.